This interview, with Suzanne Metcalf, is from April 2016
1. Tell us a little about yourself
About myself, My Name is Suzanne Metcalf I started making jewelry as a hobby about 8 1/2 years ago. I took one simple stringing class and was hooked. Everything else I am self-taught.
2. What is your “inspiration story” — where did your interest in jewelry all begin?
My inspiration story. A family friend was visiting and made jewelry and I thought hey this looks like fun so, I signed up for a class at one of the major chains craft store in the area. I enjoyed it and thought I could do this as a hobby. I had friends telling me I should sell my work. Back then I was very reluctant to put myself out there and show anything as I am such a perfectionist and still am when it comes to one of my pieces.
3. What is your dream project?
My Dream Project would be to make jewelry for Musicians and Actors.
4. What has been your greatest challenge so far and how did you overcome it?
My greatest challenge is not being so critical of myself and self-conscious about my work. It is a work in progress
5. What is the greatest gift that jewelry-making has given you?
The greatest gift is to know that I can do something that will bring a smile to people.
6. What words of wisdom do you have for someone beginning to make jewelry?
Words of wisdom is don’t give up and keep trying.